19 July, 2011

Shop Local: Look Pretty and Save the World

 

Good morning lovely readers! I hope everyone is having a beautiful Tuesday morning!

If you are just catching up:

This weekend as my husband and I were wandering around downtown Asheville, we stopped by a couple of cute shops. I would say that my #1 favorite thing about Asheville is the amount of quality independently owned businesses. It also helps that the downtown is incredibly pedestrian friendly!

The first store that I was incredibly impressed, nay, delighted by was the Bake it Pretty Bakery. Not only were the desserts so lovely, the whole place just made me smile! It is the go-to place for all confections and fun decor for your baking needs. I absolutely loved this store and I felt that it was just magical. And for some fun recipes, check out the bakery’s blog!

{pics via Bake it Pretty Blog}

We also popped into a cute little gift store called Dolce Vita, where I purchased my new obsession (s):

This Towne and Reese Necklace! Real Simple featured this exact necklace a few months back, and I am in love. I loved it so much, I bought it in the blue color way as well. I am absolutely that person that buys two (or three or four) of something if I absolutely love it and know I will wear it over and over again!! It also really reminds me of something that Kendi would wear!

Other Towne and Reese favs:

 

I love the feminine and simplistic qualities to T&R’s jewelry! Also, I loooove that Towne and Reese are based out of Charlotte! Talk about shopping local! Score! I cannot wait to obtain more of these costume baubles!

And in my little scatterbrained mind, that brings me to the 3/50 Project.

What is the 3/50 Project? As explained from their website:

3 What three independent owned businesses would you miss if they disappeared? Stop in. Say Hello. Pick up Something that makes you smile. Your purchases are what keeps those businesses around.

50 If half the employed population spent $50 each month in locally owned independent businesses, it would generate more than $ 42.6 Billion in revenue. Imagine the positive impact if 3/4 the employed population did that.

68 For every $100 that is spent locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll, and other expenditures. If you spend that in a national chain, only about $43 stays here. Spend it online and nothing comes home.

1 The number of people it takes to start the trend…you.

Please take the time to help out your local businesses, these women and men work hard, heck you might even be one of them. Check out the site for more details, and think before you spend!!

Support local, and you will see a thriving community.

See? It was totally OK that I bought two new necklaces, it was for the good of the local Asheville & Charlotte communities. Shopping=good.

1 comment:

Chrysa said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

Beautiful pictures! The bakery's desserts look so cute and yummy! And I love the jewelry!

Following you now on Bloglovin and Google, I would love it if you followed me back!

Chrysa
Stories and Sequins

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...