29 September, 2010

Britney S. Pierce

Before I go into a quick and painless review of last night’s Glee , I would like to take the time to reflect upon the better years of Britney Spears’ better years.

We can make fun all we want, but at one time there was no stopping her awesomeness. That’s right kiddies, before the bald head, before the chugging of the Frappucinos…Britney was a goddess. Her hair, the abs, the insane dancing. She rocked. And the answer is yes, I own every Britney album and I am not afraid to admit that. Here are some of my favorite Brit memories:       bs6

bs1

bs

bs4bs2

bs5

bs3

Those denim outfits. Amazing.

Oh and my review of Glee? Being a total theatre nerd for my entire life entitles me to love all things theatrical and dance related. The first few episodes of Glee (the first season) were so fun! They were dark and witty and filled with references of theatre past. Now? Its all about what songs will make it on Itunes on Wednesday morning. Paramore? SHE CHOSE THAT PARAMORE SONG?!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! Lea Michelle is TRAINED, her voice brought her to Broadway stardom long before Glee came a knocking! And yes, I STILL want to hear the kids belt out Christopher Cross’ “If you get lost between the moon and New York City”. I freaking love that song.

And the random Britney appearances felt forced and fake.

John Stamos playing the drug-giving-Britney inducing dentist? OK, I will buy that one.

Britney S. Pierce getting some major screen time? Loved it. And her abs…bringing old school Britney back!

Message to Glee: Stop singing overdone songs (Empire State of Mind) and start getting back to the theatre’s roots! I promise Gleeks will love it. How about a little ditty from Oklahoma? Or you could even do the overplayed “Summertime” from Porgy and Bess, as long as you teach the kids out there that the song was first performed in 1935 and was written by Gerswhin…not the dead guy from Sublime. Or Godspell? Yes, I hate Godspell but its something! Or speaking of Godspell, what about “ I don’t know how to love him” from Jesus Christ Superstar? I can totally see Tina singing it about Artie. Just do something new, or I am going to stop watching it (well, maybe).

And that's how Sarah C’s it.

1 comment:

Brittney said...

I was totally hoping they would do "Sailing" after all the talk about it! That was the song I used as my father/daughter dance song at my wedding! I like some of the new stuff they are doing, but it's kind of overdone- agreed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...