24 November, 2009

Thanksgiving Recipes

Yeah the posts are a random assortment today, sorry.

I am a proud vegetarian. There are many reasons that I choose not to eat animals. I would love to say that I am vegan, but I love Greek yogurt, eggs with cheese, chocolate (um baked goods in general) and the heavy creamer I use in my coffee every morning (how was I ever using Coffee Mate? Ew its made with corn syrup solids, disgusting!) too much! Maybe one day...

And have I mentioned I love Ryan's parents/family? Because I do. However, they are meat-eaters (as most people are, Ryan kindly reminded me last night. HA). So its usually not a deal, as I just eat the sides to the meal. But I got to thinking, I will make a protein dish that is vegetarian friendly to share with them at Thanksgiving. At least I will have something to eat.

I have decided on a "mock" chicken salad. I will also bring over lettuce (lettuce wraps).
Here is the recipe if you are so inclined:

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon mango chutney
  • 1 (7-ounce) package baked tofu, crumbled into small pieces
  • 2 tablespoons seedless raisins
  • 1 tablespoon sliced green onions, plus more for garnish
  • 1 1/2 tsp- curry powder
  • 1/2 C slivered almonds
  • 1/2 halved grapes

Directions:

If you have time, freeze the drained tofu overnight. It will turn kind of yellow. That's OK. Thaw the tofu. When it is thawed, you can squeeze it like a sponge and get out the water. It will turn back to white. The reason for this step, which is optional, is that it gives the Tofu a "meatier" texture. You don't have to do this, but I like it. Cut tofu into 1/4 inch cubes or smaller, and fry until golden brown using cooking spray. Cool for 5 minutes. You get a "meatier" tofu if the tofu has been frozen and then defrosted before cooking. Mix all ingredients and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

Yeah I'm on it! Yum!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...