03 April, 2009

Hair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical

Good Morning Starshine! It's baaacck! The revival of HAIR debuted on Broadway at the Al Hirschfeld Theater earlier this week. And as much as I would have loved to hitchhike up to the City and leave my bra at home, I did the very un-hippie thing and stayed put at my job and wore a bra. This energetic and mystical musical is all about sexual freedom, draft dodging, racial conflicts and stereotypes, astrology (the class I thought I was taking in college), drugs, and of course, love, man. The cast for the revival has a lot of similarities to the original cast as they picked people off the street because the producers either knew of them to run with bohemian circles, or they looked like hippies already (walking around in Central Park)... I love that. Authenticity.
So celebrate the dawning of the Age of Aquarius and start praying that there is a national tour in the works!

“The show is the first Broadway musical in some time to have the authentic voice of today rather than the day before yesterday,” wrote Clive Barnes in The New York Times when “Hair” opened in 1968.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...